Puppies are notorious for getting into things. As they explore their world they will commonly place things in their mouths and sometimes swallow objects that should not be swallowed.
Hanna, a totally adorable 5 month old Pembroke Welsh Corgi was brought to the animal hospital because she had thrown up a rock and was not feeling well. Upon examining Hanna, Dr. Powell could feel something unusual in her abdomen. X-rays revealed four large dense objects presumed to be rocks. She was taken to surgery and exploration of her abdomen revealed two stones lodged in half way down her small intestine and two in her stomach. Incisions were made in the intestine and stomach and the stones were removed from their respective organs.
Hanna stayed in the animal hospital for 3 days and recovered uneventfully.
Photo of corgi puppy by Daniel Stockman
This x-ray shows the stones. Sometimes ingested rocks will pass on their own; other times, such as in Hanna’s case, the intestine will clamp down around them and cause complete obstructions that can become life threatening.